Friday, August 2, 2013

Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend Review

Author: Louise Rozett
Title: Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend (Confessions Series)
Published: 06/25/2013
Good Reads-
Rose Zarelli has big plans for sophomore year—everything is going to be different. This year, she’s going to be the talented singer with the killer voice, the fabulous girl with the fashionista best friend, the brainiac who refuses to let Jamie Forta jerk her around...

...but if she’s not careful, she’s also going to be the sister who misses the signals, the daughter who can only think about her own pain, the “good girl” who finds herself in mid-scandal again (because no good deed goes unpunished) and possibly worst of all...the almost-girlfriend.

When all else fails, stop looking for love and go find yourself.

Review:

Current thoughts on Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend “hmph, well, that should be longer”. I don’t like the end, I mean it ended on a good note, but I wasn’t emotionally ready for it to end. So how it ended didn’t exactly help me, and now I have a book hangover. Ugh. I think I like this book better than the first one. Maybe because this time around I knew what to expect rather than the first, and I didn’t set such high expectations. The Confessions books aren’t the type to blow you out the water, but Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend was a rather enjoyable read. It’s so much drama but at the same time it comes off like a totally typical day no biggy what so ever. I don't really think I spoiled anything for those of you who haven't read/finished the first, but you know, just in case..click at your own risk.

After the cliff hanger that Confessions of an Angry Girl left us off at, we now know Rose is ready to start over and move on with her life. No more chasing after what isn’t going to happen, no matter being stuck in the past. She’s new and improved and is ready to start 10th grade with a clean slate. But she gets pulled under once again after some not so nice things happen at a party before the beginning of school. We can add to that the fact that all her friends are now morphed into perfect versions of themselves and everything Rose thought would feel right this year is wrong. So very very wrong. Oh, and her “shut your mouth and not get into people’s business” deal went out the window the moment she got pushed into the pool.

Now I liked this book and at the same time I didn’t like this book, why you may wonder? Well, Rose does try new things, she gives different things a chance and is on her road to self-discovery. She tries really hard not to draw attention to herself and do what she knows to think is right, but the whole “Jamie Forta is out of my life” is something she can’t get a grasp on. I love the characters so much more in this book, actually they kinda swapped places. I hated Tracy, and didn’t really care for Rose in the last book, but I loved Jamie, and Peter. Now I like Rose, and Tracy, but can’t stand Jamie or Peter. Oh and Robert is just weird, and I always liked Angelo. Tracy’s tramp days are behind her and now fashion is her calling, she’s put herself into something that she loves and she’s a way better character. Peter is the worst brother eva, Jamie I’m even annoyed at. At first I was all “Rose is kinda young for him and she needs to give him a chance to figure out his own life first and even her own.” But now I’m just like “screw Forta he’s drama.” Stephanie is there but not there like previously, and we’re introduced to a new character named Holly. And her dad, yeah she has baggage.

My feelings for this book are kinda all over the place, I like how things come to a strong close at the end, while still leaving room for another book. I like how strong Rose gets throughout the story and how she grows as a character and FINALLY gets that backbone. I don’t think the title really suits the story, but overall it was a good read. Scores a 3.5 for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment