Monday, July 29, 2013

Of Triton Review

Author: Anna Banks
Title: Of Triton (Of Poseidon Trilogy)
Published: 05/28/13
Good Reads-
In this sequel to OF POSEIDON, Emma has just learned that her mother is a long-lost Poseidon princess, and now struggles with an identity crisis: As a Half-Breed, she’s a freak in the human world and an abomination in the Syrena realm below. Syrena law states that all Half- Breeds should be put to death.

As if that’s not bad enough, her mother’s reappearance among the Syrena turns the two kingdoms—Poseidon and Triton—against one another. Which leaves Emma with a decision to make: Should she comply with Galen’s request to keep herself safe and just hope for the best? Or should she risk it all and reveal herself—and her Gift—to save a people she’s never known?

Review:
Baaaaaah. Okay so everyone trashed Of Triton and the fact that Banks is continuing the uh, whatever the word is into a trilogy. Which is kinda stupid because if you hate it don’t freaking read it. Go read Twilight or whatever crap you like. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but don’t go trash something just so you can get attention, good or bad. Of Neptune the last of the three books hasn’t even been released yet and the bad press for it is over the edge. Which is ridiculous because you have no grounds no matter who you are to judge a book that you haven’t read, or know anything about. Moving on to Of Triton everyone was saying really awful things so when I actually did read it, I was actually surprised.  This trilogy so far is to me, a very predictable cliché type story; the characters are predictable in an unpredictable way. Like no one would expect them to go against everything they used to stand for, but knowing these characters yeah they will. If that makes sense, the beginning of the book I did not see coming. It’s kinda funny because while I was reading the book I was looking for what people hate so much about it. And I can’t really say I found anything. Also, there are spoilers from the first book, so unless you read it, don't clicky clicky.

So here’s where Of Triton picks up, as soon as Galen and Toraf run off to tell Grom that Nalia is very much alive, Rayna and Emma get hit with the most unexpected thing. Like ever, I’m still in shock over it because it’s too hilarious and outrageous for me to think of the characters going through. Once Toraf, Galen, and Grom get back to land things get a little messy, then they’re back in the water trying to fix those messes when things get worse and worse. Lines are crossed, fingers are pointed, and let’s just say it gets real fishy down there. Emma tries to balance school, Rayna (yes everyone always leaves Rayna of all the characters to babysit Emma) is bored and depressed out of her mind, and Rachel is Rachel. What can you say? Gotta love those ex mobsters right?

What I like about this book is there’s actually less romance in it!! That’s one of the things I figured turned people against Of Triton. In Of Poseidon it was all “I love Emma but I can never tell her” and “Ohmysweetgoodness I love Galen but he’s playing me I know it.” Although in Of Triton it’s more like “we are so screwed”, which I liked because it was funner that way. (Blah blah blah funner isn’t a word Ramona. Keep it to yourselves word freaks.) Oh yeah and Emma stopped saying ‘ohmysweetgoodness’ about everything which is also great, because I wanted to strangle her if she said it once more. I was all “Triton's trident will she just stop it!” Anywho, there’s also more characters introduced which I think is cool, plus it’s more about Syrena then finding out if Emma has a fin. There’s less of Toraf and Rayna, which is sad because I love them, they’re so cute. And then someone dies in the end, but when they did die, it wasn’t my normal “oh no!” I was just like “whatever next page” I cared more when Chloe died so that has to say something.

Of Triton is just as cute a lot less short of the read that Of Poseidon was. It’s energetic, happy, fairly paced, it’s over an awesome carefree summer read. Not to mention MEREMAIDS! And it scores a 4 for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment