Friday, July 26, 2013

Of Poseidon Review

Author: Anna Banks
Title: Of Poseidon (Of Poseidon)
Published: 05/22/2012
Good Reads-
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.

Review:

I really wanna finish (start) this review and get it out of the way so I can read Of Triton the sequel to Of Poseidon and being that I’m reading the sequel right after I finished the first tells you I had to like it right? Yeah sure whatever move on. I need to hash out this review because Of Poseidon was a good book, not mind blowing OMG NO YOU DIDN’T AMAZE but it was a nice sweet love story type book. I mean, I’m not a nice sweet love story type gal, I didn’t fall head over heels for Of Poseidon, but I mean, mermaids. Do I even have to say anything else? Just Mermaids. Merfreakingmaids.

So here’s the dealio, Emma is your typical Jersey girl, focused on school and being that she almost drowned once, then had to witness her best friend being attacked and killed by a shark, not the biggest fan of water. But before Chloe (said best friend) died, she and Emma were at the Gulfarium in Florida, where someone just so happen to notice her ease with the fish, and her violet eyes. One things leads to another and boom Galen, prince of the Syrena and human ambassador is on her case. Being that it is a crime for Syrena to live as human Galen is ready to arrest Emma and move on, but things are never that easy.

It takes Emma, Galen, Rachel, Dr. Milligan, Toraf, and Rayna a crew of both Syrena and human, to figure out what Emma actually is. The story floats in and out of two main themes, a, finding out what Emma is and how she came to be, and two, a romance brewing between Emma and Galen. Although it’s a long shot in Galen’s eyes, because unlike Emma he knows the rules of his people and he can see that even though he has feelings for Emma, it won’t end well. At all.

Like I said, I like this book, it’s a sweet little romance that everyone can fantasize about. A super hot merman showing up and demanding to spend time with you? Why the heck not? The characters are nice enough, a few things don’t really add up well together and I feel as if the romance part fogs up all the confusing tidbits the readers would stumble upon. I didn’t like that, the fact that some things weren’t explained and just brushed off to the side like that, it made the story feel rushed to me. Aside from a slower pace, I would’ve loved for the story to go deeper into detail on the other characters. It’s mostly about their here and now, they seem a bit shallow, they’re more translucent than transparent.

Overall Of Poseidon was a cute read, it was nice and happy. A great book to pick up during the summer days, it scores a 4 for me. I mean, I don’t love it enough to miss an episode of Dance Moms to read it, but it’s still nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment