Monday, March 4, 2013

Perfect Scoundrels Review

Author: Ally Carter
Title: Perfect Scoundrels (Heist Society)
Published: 02/05/2013
Good Reads-
Katarina Bishop and W.W. Hale the fifth were born to lead completely different lives: Kat comes from a long, proud line of loveable criminal masterminds, while Hale is the scion of one of the most seemingly perfect dynasties in the world. If their families have one thing in common, it's that they both know how to stay under the radar while getting--or stealing--whatever they want. No matter the risk, the Bishops can always be counted on, but in Hale's family, all bets are off when money is on the line.
When Hale unexpectedly inherits his grandmother's billion dollar corporation, he quickly learns that there's no place for Kat and their old heists in his new role. But Kat won't let him go that easily, especially after she gets tipped off that his grandmother's will might have been altered in an elaborate con to steal the company's fortune. So instead of being the heir--this time, Hale might be the mark. Forced to keep a level head as she and her crew fight for one of their own, Kat comes up with an ambitious and far-reaching plan that only the Bishop family would dare attempt. To pull it off, Kat is prepared to do the impossible, but first, she has to decide if she's willing to save her boyfriend's company if it means losing the boy.

Review:

What to say what to say what to say. I really enjoyed reading this book, it’s one of my favorite series and as much as I don’t what’s the word, idolize Ms. Carter, she does write one heck of a book. And I’m willing to admit that I’m a big fan of both her YA series, and anxiously wait for the next installments year after year, book after book. I fell in love with Heist Society as soon as I heard about it, I loved the book. Uncommon Criminals was absolutely amazing, and really kept me wanting more of our favorite teen con artists. So you can imagine I had exceedingly high expectations for Perfect Scoundrels I don’t even read the teaser chapters of these books anymore, I just get the release date and wait. I trust Carter is going to provide her usual incredible book, and I don’t worry whether or not it might not be something I like this time. And as far as Perfect Scoundrels goes, I was right not to worry.

What I really love about the Heist novels is that they aren’t a set series, and that each book doesn’t play off the previous one. So with each Heist book, you get a whole new interesting story to take you away into the con world with Kat and Hale and all the rest. Its super super interesting because seriously, who doesn’t love a great heist? You also have seriously awesome characters, Kat’s family is amazing and something you’d die to be a part of. At least, I would for sure. It’s got the comfort of home on a rainy day, and yet the excitement of an Ocean’s movie all rolled together. Try as you might, you really can’t hate Kat’s rag tag team of kids, almost all of whom grew up in the world of thieves and con artists. The world Kat and her family create is enough for you to fall in love with the story and make you wish you had the privilege to be related to Uncle Eddie.

In Perfect Scoundrels the group has to save one of their own, when Hale’s grandmother dies her will brings a few questions to float and things aren’t as they should be. Kat’s got to find a way to protect Hale from his own family and close friends, without destroying their relationship, or getting him involved. Which isn’t an easy task at all and things kind of begin to over flow a little too fast for Kat’s liking. This story isn’t as intense I’d say as the first two, and it’s less aw-worthy being that you don’t really get to read about the cool gadgets or things being blown up. It’s not exactly what I was expecting to read, but it was definitely worthwhile.

I have to give Perfect Scoundrels a 4.5, because overall it was an amazing book and I loved it, it wasn’t as intense as I was expecting and didn’t really leave me hanging off my seat like the previous two did. If you haven’t read an Ally Carter YA book yet, then you seriously need to get on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment