Friday, November 1, 2013

Protecting Truth Review

Author: Michelle Warren
Title: Protecting Truth (Seraphina Parrish Trilogy)
Published: 09/19/2012
Good Reads-
Seraphina’s keeping a secret from her Wandering team: she’s perfecting her fighting skills. But telling Sam and Bishop the truth would only alert them to her plan: to go back in time, save her mom, and finish what she started. With the help of Turner, Bishop’s handsome twin, she progresses toward her goal but plummets deeper into dangerous territory where the lines of friendship and romance are blurred. One passionate kiss changes everything, leading Sera to unravel a shocking web of family secrets, heartbreaking ulterior motives, and sinister agendas. Love and lies collide in a haunting climax, where the truest souls may not survive.

Review:
No. No. No. Noooo. This book is all flavors of no. I hate sequels, it’s now a thing on my hate list, smushed between wet doorknobs and when people clap at the end of a movie. (I will never understand the clapping.) Protecting Truth you are as awful as your name sounds. Seriously, what kind of name is that? Now before I give y’all the low down on why I hate the Seraphina Parrish Trilogy sequel, I shall attempt to explain it. Although, I doubt it’ll make any sense being that Protecting Truth may have outnumbered the Starcrossed Trilogy of unnecessary plot twists. This is the sequel's review, don't read it unless you've read the first book unless you're a spoiler person. I know, everyone indulges in that guilty pleasure now and then. 


I love how Wander Dust ends, it answers questions, yet leaves room for the story to continue, and I was eager to begin reading Protecting Truth. So when I finally opened it up and read, well, bad things happened. I can’t even begin to explain the plot, it's just as unclear as the first story; Protecting Truth didn't really have a goal, besides Sera finding her mother. So as you can imagine while Sera is trying to balance her school, relationship, friendships, not so friendly encounters, she is also training to save her mother. Now add in a million random, irrelevant plot twist, and some hidden secrets and you’ve got yourself a novel!

I really didn’t like how everything about Protecting Truth took what I knew and loved from Wander Dust and totally ruined it. All of the characters have some sort of hidden secret, everyone from Aunt Mona to Terease is hiding some big bad secret that will change the way Sera sees her life. Really, I feel like in the beginning of the book Sera has her doubts about being part of the Wandering Society, and all the random things in Protecting Truth just seem to make it harder for her to want to be in the Society.

Wander Dust just started off as a time-slip romance and mystery, where all Sera wants is to find out who she really is and who her mother was. Only now, it seems more like Sera wants to go against the entire Wandering Society and start a rebellion. Protecting Truth felt like mishmash of the Hourglass Trilogy, Shatter Me Trilogy, and something else I can’t put my finger on. Being honest, I don’t think they’re working out so well together either.

This is like the weirdest review I ever wrote but oh well now it’s done. I give Protecting Truth a 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment