Friday, October 4, 2013

Dreamless Review

Author: Josephine Angelini
Title: Dreamless (Starcrossed Trilogy)
Published: 05/29/2012
Good Reads-
StarHearts, as fans of Josephine Angelini call themselves, will stay up all night reading Dreamless, the second book in the bestselling Starcrossed series. The saga mixes mythology, romance, action, and intrigue in a completely original way.

Dreamless continues the story of Helen Hamilton, a shy girl living on Nantucket Island whose desire for an ordinary life was thwarted when she discovered she is a Scion, a descendant of a Greek god and a mortal. Each Scion has a power, and Helen’s is the ability to travel to Hades.

Helen is determined to use her talent to stop a war amongst the gods and change her destiny, which is to live a life patterned after that of the tragic Helen of Troy. But her quest may cost her Lucas Delios, the boy she loves.

Review:
Alrighy, so I mentioned before that for me, the Achilles heel of trilogies are the sequels. I mean, they’re that in-between that’s like almost there but just no. Dreamless was certainly no exception, Starcrossed got off really rough, but it did eventually get better, once I picked up Dreamless everything I loved in Starcrossed went bad. I was annoyed with all the characters, it’s a pretty long book, and I hate the gazillion and a half plot twist that were thrown in there. Every time Helen got two steps forward the stupidest thing would pull her three steps back. On the plus side, I love that Dreamless literally picks right up after Starcrossed, and being that I read the entire trilogy over the weekend it was awesome feeling like I read one big book.

To the main point, in Dreamless Helen has to do the unthinkable and go after the Furies, which means hunting them down and finding a way to defeat them in the Underworld. Hard? Why yes it is, every night she takes trips to hell itself and back again, with a burden on her shoulders that’s pretty hefty. I mean, trying to unlock all Scions from the one thing that has ever come between them? Haaard. Aside from the fact that I love that something actually happened in Dreamless, the rest of it blows. Majorly, it was just awful. All the characters were so annoying, either they were whining and crying for themselves, or just doing the stupidest of stupid things. Even Jason, who I loved, and thought he’d be the calm level headed one went all flavors of idiot. I did however, begin to like Cassandra a lot more, and the fact that she was included a lot more.

You know when you’re reading a book and for example they can’t climb up the tree? So in your head you’re like “they would be able to get to the top if they get a ladder” and then somewhere in the next few pages, someone has your idea. It gets shut down, nonetheless but by a reasonable explanation, like the fact that ladders have gone illegal. (Don’t judge me I needed a reason), anywho in Dreamless I had a bunch of those moments. Only no one ever thought along side of me, and the reasonable ideas I had never crossed the characters minds. Which is really sad because they’re supposed to be smart and they couldn’t see what was right in front of them. It also sucked watching their lives fall to ruins because of that.

Moving on, I Dreamless (at least the title makes sense) scores 3 for me. I didn’t like one sentence of it, and it was really disappointing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment