Monday, July 8, 2013

Going Vintage Review

Author: Lindsey Leavitt
Title: Going Vintage
Published: 03/26/2013
Good Reads-
When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars). The List:
1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous
But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.

Review:
I didn’t have high expectations for this book. I mean, it didn’t exactly look promising, and even though this year I’m reading a lot of contemporary, I really never got into it. So I walked a few circles around Going Vintage, and then when I finally forced myself to read it, it was ookay.(Two o’s that isn’t a typo.) It wasn’t amazing or breathtaking or anything super like that, but it’s a really cute read I’d say. It reminds me of The Clique series I read when I was 12. Yes, I did read The Clique don’t judge me, so basically Going Vintage is a cutesy read that can perk about any one up.

The story is narrated by Mallory, a highschool junior whose life basically revolves around her boyfriend Jeremy. Ever since her family moved and she started highschool as a new kid Jeremy was always there. So the day she goes over to help him with some homework and finds out he’s been basically borderline cheating with some online wife (it’s in a game from a social networking site) she swears off technology and decides to kick it old school.

Mallory didn’t really plan on the tech fast, but when she was going through some of her grandma’s old stuff she found a list from way back when. It was a list of things to do her grandmother had written before her junior year. Mallory just decides that everything must have been way simpler and easier back then and is determined to try life from the ‘60s. So with the help of her sister, grandmother, and the oh so outgoing Oliver Kimball, cousin of the cheating tool, Mallory sets her goal and goes 1960 on 2013.

This is book like I said is a cute read, nothing too heavy nothing too soppy or adventurous or you know anything. The characters are light and funny and even though you might not connect with them all, you certainly won’t hate them. I totally loved Ginnie, as far as sisters go, she is rocking awesome. I couldn’t really stand their parents, I wanted to whack them upside down the head with a pan. Go all Rapunzel on them and get Maximus to help me out while I’m at it.

Overall I’d give Going Vintage a 3.5, it didn’t impress but didn’t leave me dying of boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment