Wednesday, June 19, 2013

School Spirits Review

Author: Rachel Hawkins(a.k.a. one of the best people and authors in the world)
Title: School Spirits
Published: 05/14/2013
Good Reads-
Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt? 

Rachel Hawkins' delightful spin-off brings the same wit and charm as theNew York Times best-selling Hex Hall series. Get ready for more magic, mystery and romance!

Review:

I loooooooove Rachel Hawkins. As everyone in the whole world should know, she’s the author of the bestestestestestestest trilogy in the world the Hex Hall Trilogy. I mean, it’s amazing and lovely, and perfect, and everything in the world you could ever want a book. I mean, it’s perfect and I don’t know how on earth I stumbled into the first book Hex Hall, but I thank my lucky stars I did. My cousin who also showed a little interest in reading (she’s one of those 13 year olds who only reads what she wants to be seen reading) although Hex Hall wasn’t one of those super fab books like The Hunger Games, even she fell for it. Now as I assume everyone was super depressed that Hex Hall had to come to an end, we were all glad to see Hawkins spin off series about Sophie’s cousin Izzy.

So I obviously had extremely high hopes for this book, I mean expectations sky high. I will admit it took me a bit to get into it. Every time I read something that sparked a Sophie memory I just had to stop reading for a moment and not cry at the thought that my Sophie & Co. days are over. Sad sad. However, once I finally go into School Spirits, I was wrapped up in Izzy’s world and trying my hardest to figure out who was behind the haunting. Here’s what School Spirits is all about.

Izzy Brannick, is a Brannick, of the Brannicks, you know, red hair, monster hunting super tough girls? Well lately, Izzy hasn’t been feeling much like a Brannick ever since her older sister Finley disappeared. Being the only one with Finley that night and knowing that just maybe she could’ve done something different and Finley would still be there? Yeah well it’s a bit depressing. So Izzy’s mom decides she needs a break, to take an easy case just to get her head in order. So Izzy and her mom move to Ideal, Mississippi and Izzy sets after the not so mysterious ghost of Mary Evans High.

Throughout this story Izzy really does grow as a character, she gets stronger and smarter and learns to make the best of things. She takes on new challenges and I loved to see that although she makes some mistakes, in the end she puts her war face on and does the job. Aside from Izzy and her amazingness, there are a lot of kooky characters in this book. We’ve got Anderson, Romy, and Dex, not your typical high schoolers, no these are the people making up the group of ghost hunters at Mary Evans. They’re also Izzy’s friends, (or as close to a friend as a monster hunter can get), aside from their weirdness. I would probably shy away at the sight of this trio, but they’re really fun characters. I think they each add something their own to the story and that makes it all the better.

Now for the mystery portion every Hawkins fan has come to expect, well this book literally had me guessing to the last page and all I can say is “I CAN’T BELIEVE I DIDN’T SEE THAT COMING!!!!” I mean being the dork I am, I did put certain things together, (like the silver bracelet, even though I didn’t get that all right I was close) and how a rose charm ended where it had. But the biggest mystery of the story? Yeah never coulda predicted that one.

Overall, I LOVED School Spirits and I’m calling my cousin to brag. I will continue to be a loyal Hawkins fan, and this summer I’m picking up the Hex Trilogy and reading it over. I might just cry at the end because of how sad it really is, but it’s something that I need to experience again. School Spirits gets a 4.5 for me! Way to kick off a trilogy!



No comments:

Post a Comment