Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Through the Ever Night Review

Author: Veronica Rossi
Title: Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky) 
Published: 01/08/2013
Good Reads-
It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.

Review:

I've been doing this really stupid thing lately, usually I write up the review for a book right after I read it.  Cause then it’s fresh in my mind and all that blah, but recently I’m just like “err, I’ll just write the review before I post it” and end up reading three different books after it and losing all the emotional connection to the story. So this is gonna be like bland I guess, and the next review but then they should pick back up again after that. See with Under the Never Sky, I wasn't so in love with the book, but as soon as I finished that I picked up Through the Ever Night. I don’t know if this is just one of my weird things, but whenever I read two books or more in the series whatever in a row I get really attached to the characters. They’re kinda constantly in the back of my mind and I keep thinking about the story and what not. Sorta like that favorite song of yours from when you were kid that you remember and find out the lyrics mean nothing like you thought, and then it gets stuck on your mind? Yeah I guess that’s a totally random way to explain it, but I get attached to the characters and it makes me open up to the story a whole world of a lot more. So by the time I finish that book I’m so familiar with the characters and feel like we've gone through so much together and that seriously affects my ability to judge the book. Although since I've been stupid and lazy lately that whole characters thing let’s call it ECA (extreme character attachment) has worn off I don’t really love Through the Ever Night as much as I did before.

Now this is the sequel in the trilogy and I hate reviewing books in the middle because you’re stuck in the middle, and it’s really hard to do without adding in a whole round of spoilers from the first book and what not. So here we go…. Umm okay so the first book really does cut off and leaves off with a bigger cliff hanger than I’d love, but thankfully Through the Ever Night makes up for the lost time. One way or another Aria and Perry end up back together and things get a little tricky. A lot of old characters come back into play, with a few additional ones, some totally knew, some previously mentioned in the first book.  I liked Through the Ever Night a lot more than Under the Never Sky because of the familiarity of the characters and the growing tension that came with it.

There’s just as much action as the first book, I wouldn't classify it as romance, but there is a romantical (that’s not a real word) tension between some of the characters. So things heat up a bit, not really any room for mystery, but I would say things definitely get intense at parts. There’s another cliff hanger to wrap things up and the final installment won’t be out for a while (sadly). Like I said before, I’m not really in love with this trilogy but I’m sure some people can fall head over heels for it. I like the characters because they make sense and things aren't all “poof” problems solved, none of them do things in vain, and it doesn't kill you to read about any of them.  Uhhhhhhh what else to say… That’s about it, overall Through the Ever Night scores a 4.5 for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment